Dr. J. Pieter Hommen Orthopedic Surgeon & Sports Medicine
Dr. J. Pieter Hommen is board certified and fellowship-trained in sports medicine and advanced arthroscopy of the shoulder, hip, elbow, knee and ankle. He specializes in injuries and arthritis of the shoulder, hip and knee with particular interests in joint preservation of cartilage and biomechanics.
Dr. Hommen's interests include arthroscopic surgery of the shoulder, elbow, hip, and knee. Dr. Hommen is a faculty instructor of arthroscopic surgery to orthopedic surgical residents in training as well as an Associate Master Arthroscopy Instructor at the Orthopedic Learning Center in Rosemont, Chicago for the Arthroscopy Association of North America (AANA). His shoulder interests include arthroscopic labrum repairs, rotator cuff repairs, SLAP repairs, shoulder instability repairs, inter-positional and augmented graft repairs for massive rotator cuff repairs, as well as total shoulder replacement surgeries and cartilage restoration procedures. In the field of hip arthroscopy, Dr. Hommen specializes in: femoroacetabular impingement procedures including CAM and PINCER impingement resection, labrum repair, labrum reconstruction, iliotibial band and iliopsoas tendon release, trochanteric bursectomy, gluteus tendon repair, hamstring repair, piriformis tendon release, sciatic nerve compression release at the hip, and cartilage restoration. His interests in knee arthroscopic surgery include includes meniscus repairs, cartilage restorative procedures, autologous chondrocyte implantations, matrix induced autologous chondrocyte implantation, meniscus transplantations, anterior cruciate ligament and posterior cruciate ligament reconstructions. Dr. Hommen performs elbow surgery including ulnar collateral ligament reconstruction ("Tommy John" surgery), repairs of avulsed triceps and biceps tendons, as well as arthroscopy to address chondral loose bodies, cartilage injuries, impingement, and tennis elbow release.
- Fellowship - Sports Medicine and Arthroscopy Southern California Orthopedic Institute - Los Angeles, California
- Orthopedic Residency New York University - The Hospital for Joint Diseases - New York, New York
- Medical School Cornell University - Weill Cornell Medical College - New York, New York
- University Cornell University - College of Arts and Sciences – Ithaca, New York
- American Board of Orthopedic Surgery
- Fellow of the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgery (FAAOS)
- Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Honor Society
- American Orthopedic Society for Sports Medicine
- Arthroscopy Association of North America
- American Academy of Orthopedic Surgery
- Cornell University Alumni Association
- Dade County Medical Society
- Florida Orthopedic Society
- Florida Medical Association
- Miami Orthopedic Society
- Florida International University Clinical Assistant Professor - October 2011 to present
- Dr. Hommen previously served as a voluntary instructor in Biomedical Engineering Department where his students won the Biomedical Engineering First Place Award for design of an arthroscopic rotator cuff repair suture device.
Orthopedic Surgery Instructor
- Associate Master Hip Arthroscopy Instructor
- Orthopedic Learning Center in Rosemont, Chicago
- Arthroscopy Association of North America (AANA)
- Professional Team Physician
- Fort Lauderdale Strikers 2011-2015
- Miami FC Soccer Team 2006-2010
- New York Mets 2003-2004
- College Team Physician
- Florida Memorial University 2012 - 2015
- High School Team Physician
- Doral Academy Charter School - Current
- Riviera Schools - Current
- St. Brendan High School - Current
- Florida Christian School - Current
Throughout Dr. Hommen's training during clinical practice, he has treated many amateur, semi-pro, and professional athletes as well as actors, dancers and performers.
- US Sailing
- WBC heavyweight boxing
- UFC mixed martial arts
- MLS, USL and NASL soccer
- Cirque de Soleil
- Alvin Ailey Dance Theater
Continuing Education Lecture Series for Physical/Occupational Therapists and Athletic trainers.
- Dr. Hommen has hosted a continuing education lecture series for over 6 years. The course offers an in-depth review of musculoskeletal topics.